Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Pedal Pushers


I'm inspired by the old Victorian bicycles and am doing preliminary sketches for a painting. There's something truly beautiful about the design of these bicycles with the big front tire and the small back tire. I'm trying to imagine what it was like to ride something like this down the street. Seems like it would be hard to climb on and off. Take a look at these beautiful images:

















How old were you when you learned to ride a bike? I was about 10 or 11. But once I got going I rode all the time. I remember at age 17 I got a bright yellow ten-speed for my birthday. I didn't get my driver's license until I was 20.

8 comments:

Dana said...

I agree: they are beautiful to look at.

Luana Krause said...

Dana: So inspiring!

Lynn Proctor said...

i don't remember how old i was--pretty young though--i will pass on the driver's thing to my daughter!

Craig Edwards said...

I was not more than 7 - because we moved a lot when I was a kid - and I had my eighth birthday in a different house. I always wanted to try riding one of those Victorian bicycles - but there weren't too many in my neighborhood when I was a kid - heck I couldn't even get the neighbor kids to let me try out their bike with the steering wheel!

Unknown said...

They are beautiful. I never learned how to ride a bike. Fall off once, shame on you. Fall off multiple times, forget that! Although there are some times now I wish I could, especially since my kids, namely the oldest, are very excited about it! They love it!

Luana Krause said...

Lynn: Driving is overrated...except when you have to go somewhere.

Luana Krause said...

Craig: LOL. We had a neighbor boy (about 13 years old) who rode around on a unicycle. It was so COOL!

Luana Krause said...

Dusty: I can't imagine learning to ride a bike as an adult. I think it would be much more difficult, at least for me, because I'm too scared of falling down. I tried roller blading once and ended up crawling on my hands and knees to get off the downslope.