Friday, September 16, 2011

Friday Flicks: The Savages

The first time I saw this movie I had no idea what I was getting into. The Savages (2007) is a poignant film about dealing with an aging parent. It's labeled a comedy, but I found it tragic and heartbreaking. I wept more than I laughed.

Director Tamara Jenkins creates a perfect movie. It draws you in emotionally and you really connect with these characters which are brought to life by the amazing talents of Laura Linney, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Philip Bosco.

The story: Wendy and Jon Savage are siblings who put their estranged father in a nursing home. They must deal with the guilt of their decision  and their abusive childhood.

4 comments:

Belle said...

That looks like an amazing movie. I love all the actors too.

Luana Krause said...

Belle, I really enjoyed it. Just so you know, it's rated "R" for language.

Craig Edwards said...

I haven't seen this one - but three solid actors - I will have to check this one out! Thanks for the pointer, Luana!

Luana Krause said...

Craig: It's a wonderful movie. I could relate to the characters on so many levels. The script is a masterpiece mixing humor and drama in perfect balance.

Funny line:

JIMMY: Are you married?
WENDY: No, but my boyfried is.